F-1 Visa

What is F-1 Visa?

An F-1 Visa (Academic Student Visa) is a nonimmigrant visa for those who wish to study in the United States. The F-1 Visa allows the foreigner to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program. The foreigner must be enrolled in a program or course of study that culminates in a degree, diploma, or certificate and his/her school must be authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students.

Who can apply for F-1 Visa?

Any person who meets the following criteria is eligible to apply for F-1 Visa:

  • The applicant must be enrolled in an “academic” educational program, or a language-training program.

  • The applicant must be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement.

  • The applicant must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency.

  • The applicant must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study.

  • The applicant must maintain a residence abroad which he/she has no intention of giving up.

What is F-1 Visa Processing Time?

F-1 Visa processing time is much shorter than other types of visas. Generally speaking, the entire process takes around 2-3 weeks. The interview is the last step for the U.S. Embassy to assess whether your F-1 visa should be granted. By the end of the visa interview, the interviewer might either congratulate you on getting the visa or provide you with a document letting you know the reason for denial. On a rare occasion, the response and processing of the F-1 visa may take a few days.

What am I allowed to do with an F-1 Visa?

As an F-1 Visa holder, there are some things that you can do and may consider doing:

  • Have access to American Healthcare.

  • Renew the F-1 Visa.

  • Extend the period of stay.

  • Change Visa status.

  • Apply for a Green Card under an applicable immigration category.

  • Work on-campus or work off-campus on Curriculum Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT).

  • Travel outside of the U.S.

  • Bring family members to the U.S.

What are the application fees for F-1 Visa?

  • Application fees: $160

  • I-901 SEVIS fee: $200

  • Translation fees: Approximate $500-$1,000

  • Academic Evaluation fees:$300-$500

What services will The Deng Law Firm provide?

  • We will provide you with a completed document list for all of the documentation needed for Asylum application.

  • We will help you prepare and organize the documentation.

  • We will provide clear answers to any questions you may have for your petition.

  • We will help you sort out the documents need to be translated.

  • We will draft a professional plan tailored exclusively for your proposed work.

  • We will complete and file all relevant applications for you.

  • We will prepare you for your in-person interview.